Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Doing What Cannot Be Done

NaBloPoMo January 2014  


MARGE PIERSON SAID:  "A STRONG WOMAN IS A WOMAN DETERMINED TO DO SOMETHING OTHERS ARE DETERMINED NOT BE DONE."  TELL US ABOUT A TIME WHEN YOU DID WHAT COULDN'T BE DONE.

I can think of two examples from my 2nd bout of college, back in the 1988-1992 time frame.

For the first one, as my major was Finance, I had to take Macro- and Micro-Economics.  Both times I had the same professor.  He was cool, very laid-back and cared if the students did well in class.  There were three tests in the Macroeconomics class, the usual stuff - multiple choice, short answer and a couple of essay questions.  When he passed back the first exam, he mentioned that someone had gotten 100% on their test and that that did not happen too often in his classes.  Ok, yeah, it was me.  The night he passed back the 2nd exam, the student body president (who was also in the class) went to the stack of blue books on the professor's desk to take a peek.  He said, "Some young lady got 100%."  He was kind of a competitive soul, bless him.  On the final, he got 100%.  I only got 97%, not that I'm complaining.

In the 2nd instance, I had a statistics class.  I seemed to catch on fairly quickly and was making good grades in that course as well.  I couldn't wait until the semestar was over so maybe I could tutor my fellow students.  About halfway through the course, the instructor came up to me and asked why I wasn't tutoring.  I said that I didn't think I could seeing as I was still enrolled in the course.  I forget exactly what happened (give me a break, that was a little over 20 years ago *lol*), but in about a week I was tutoring almost full-time.  At the end of the semester, two of my classmates (whom I tutored at the same time) got me a coffee mug, filled with little candies wrapped in a small cellophane bag with lots (LOTS) of curling ribbon.  Tied into the a couple of strands of the ribbon were rolled up $1 bills!  I was floored at the thoughtfulness.

Now it's your turn.  Share a time when you did what "could not be done".  Y'ALL ROCK!

2 comments:

  1. My situation was similar to yours. I was married with two kids and a full-time job when I decided to take some night classes at college. Believe it or not, I took 3 night classes each semester (one was an online class because I didn't want to be away from my kids more than two nights a week). I was still able to take my kids to their little league practice and saw most of their games. I also did all of the cooking, cleaning and shopping. My weekends were ridiculous and I don't think I ever got 8 hours of sleep - at least not in one night! But, I was able to get my AS degree in Life Science in three years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO, Vickie! What an accomplishment! Mind if I make you my inspiration? :O)

    ReplyDelete