Thursday, June 5, 2014

Five Things That Make Me Happy Right Now



Today's prompt:  What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?

1.  My faith

One week after my last pregnancy test came back positive, I started bleeding at work.  The ER doctor refused to believe I was pregnant, even though I had had a confirmation from my ob/gyn the day before.  So while they were doing a blood test, I lay there thinking, "What am I supposed to hope for?"  That I wasn't pregnant after all?  That I was and may be having a miscarriage?  What happens if they baby has problems?  I had used the 23rd Psalm countless times in the dentist's chair to calm myself and tried it again for this situation.  Then I prayed.  I made the decision to accept whatever happened, knowing that I could get through it with God's help.  The moment that thought passed, I felt the sweetest peace I have ever known in my life.

2.  My husband.

We originally met online in a role-playing game.  He was a shaman; I was a vampire.  We decided he would come out to Salt Lake City to visit for a week.  He never really left. :O)  We've had our ups and downs, but I believe we were made for each other.  

3.  My older son.

Even though he crawled across the phone (which was on the floor) at 7 months of age and somehow dialed 911; even though he deleted Windows from our computer when he was 1-1/2 years old ... yes, he's my evil genius.  He's smart as a whip and has never really given us serious grief about doing his share around the house.  He even goes up on his Papaw's roof to keep the gutters clean.  And he will still hug his old Mom in public.  He is 17 years old.  When his sister was born, he got mad at the NICU nurses because they wouldn't let him take her home so he could take care of her.

4.  My younger son.

Also very intelligent, he processes things differently from most people.  He never showed much interest in reading until his Grammy got him a Kindle for Christmas one year.  Now we can hardly get him to stop!  And he has one of the biggest hearts I've ever known in a human.  He makes sure everyone gets a fair share, even if it means giving up some of what is his.  And I wish I could speed up my hearing because he could give the world's fastest talker a run for his money.  If someone in the family is having a rough time, he'll come and tell his father or me, saying that he is worried.  And he just turned 16 so, "WOOHOO!  We have four drivers now when we make the trip to Texas every year!"

5.  My daughter.

She is my miracle baby...my "HARBOR CHICK"!  (The term is taken from Ghostbusters II when they are walking through NYC inside the Statue of Liberty.  Egon is worried that the stress will cause the statue to crack and Bill Murray's character says, "Don't worry.  She's tough.  She's a HARBOR CHICK!")  DD came into the world 2 months early.  They told us to expect her to be in the NICU for 2 months (or her original due date).  We had two gentlemen from our church come into the NICU when she was 2-3 days old and give her a blessing.  She wound up getting to come home when she was 22 days old (just over 3 weeks), and she was still slightly under 4 pounds.  The doctors said she was "just too healthy and they needed the space".  I was thrilled because having to go home from the hospital and leave her there has been, BAR NONE, the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

~~~oOo~~~

Also sharing at:  

     

12 comments:

  1. I love your gratitude list, LuAnn! My youngest son loves to read too! He has his nose in a book all the time. It thrills me :). He sounds a lot like your son- very intelligent and incredibly loving. It sounds like you had a tough road with your precious daughter. That must have been really scary- a true miracle. Blessings to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first visit to the ER was scary, as was the ambulance ride from the one hospital to another several hours before the c-section, but God was indeed with us at those times. May you rest in the comfort of our Lord.

      Delete
  2. This post is beautiful - and your children sound amazing! That must have been SO scarry to have your daughter so early!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes and no Madailne. The doctor knew she was coming early, just not how early. But I had been given steroid shots a week before to help her little lungs develop. And then, my husband and the boys (ages 6 and 5 at the time) dropped me off at 'our' hospital one night, from where I got transferred to another hospital. I couldn't get through to my husband until the next morning, and our daughter had already been born.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you definitely have much to be thankful for...and it's great that your faith brings you peace throughout life's many challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO cool. I've never met anyone who met her spouse in a role-playing game. I know it happens all the time. I had a boyfriend I met in the MySpace days in the blogging community over there. It was great...but he lived on the other side of the country. The distance actually disguised the fact that we were all wrong for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an amazing story about your daughter. I've seen so many miracle stories like that. Modern science is amazing. I'm glad we live now, when doctors can do so much to save premature babies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LuAnn. Beautiful wonders to be thankful for, all. How blessed you are. Looks like another blogging challenge I have to check out too. Thanks for spreading the joy of being thankful for family. God bless, Maria @ Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are exactly the same things that would be on my list! Only I have two kids so the last item would be good and loyal friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely and a heartwarming person, LuAnn! So good to know about you and your family! Deleted Windows at 1.5 yrs and dialed 911... wow... young genius indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, such a lovely list! Thanks for sharing your blessings with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely post! Glad your daughter was alright! x

    ReplyDelete